1. Find the direction of magnetic North and consequently magnetic South.
2. Adjust for magnetic declination to find exact true South.
3. Point solar panels towards true South.
4. Find optimum tilt angle based on the latitude and the season.
Enter the value of latitude below to find the panel tilt in degrees.
Spring and Fall
1. The result above is the angle in degrees from the horizontal.
2. If you do not know the latitude of your city you can look it up here.
Author: Yasir Ahmed (aka John)
More than 20 years of experience in various organizations in Pakistan, the USA, and Europe. Worked as a Research Assistant within the Mobile and Portable Radio Group (MPRG) of Virginia Tech and was one of the first researchers to propose Space Time Block Codes for eight transmit antennas. The collaboration with MPRG continued even after graduating with an MSEE degree and has resulted in 12 research publications and a book on Wireless Communications. Worked for Qualcomm USA as an Engineer with the key role of performance and conformance testing of UMTS modems. Qualcomm is the inventor of CDMA technology and owns patents critical to the 4G and 5G standards.